Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Golden State NightLife
Co-presented by Save the Redwoods League
Music by DJ Tanoa
Celebrate the incomparable California coast and discover the giant forces that make the golden state like nowhere else in the world. Get an early look at our newest exhibit, Giants of Land and Sea, where you can step inside an immersive #FogRoom and welcome the return of the remodeled earthquake simulator.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:30pm - Peek behind-the-scenes of the new exhibit with a presentation from Scott Moran, the Academy’s Senior Director of Exhibits, and Emily Burns, Director of Science at Save the Redwoods League.
- 8:30pm - Learn where to experience the giants featured in the exhibit for yourself with an engaging and informative talk from Jose Gonzalez, founder of Latino Outdoors.
7:00 & 8:00pm
Learn more about some of the Golden State’s native flora and fauna: enjoy one of Classroom Safari’s always-popular live animal programs in the garden—this time featuring an array of California's non-human residents including desert turtles, birds of prey, snakes, and lizards, plus baby opossums!
Then stop by the SF Botanical Gardens table to see native plant species in all their green glory!
Look Big: Animal Encounters
(Terrace Bar & Restaurant; West Garden)
8:30pm - Local humans will share their tales from the front lines of California's animal kingdom, with Rachel Levin, author of LOOK BIG: And Other Tips for Surviving Animal Encounters of All Kinds.
- Bonnie Tsui on cockroaches
- Jeff Bercovici on spiders
- Nathanael Johnson on bears
- Thayer Walker on sea lions
- Bridget Quinn on sharks
6:00 - 10:00pm - Get help with your future plant IDs with Sutro Stewards and create California-inspired linoleum block prints, all while grooving to a vintage California surf-themed set by DJ Tanoa.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of human health and wellness.
It’s time to fly south with NightLife as we explore patterns of migration, from whales and birds to humans.
Celebrate your chosen family and get cozy and crafty with us for our first-ever NightLife Friendsgiving!
NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with after-hours science inside the greenest museum on Earth.