Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
How-To: Maker NightLife
Get crafty with a night of tinkering, tools, art, and tech from some of SF’s most creative makers.
Google Tilt Brush Demo
6:00 - 9:45pm, See how creative tech can be when you step inside a world of your own creation with Tilt brush by Google, which lets you paint in 3D space with virtual reality.
Hands on Tech
6:00 - 10:00pm
- See 3D printers in action when Moddler shows off some of their incredibly detailed models, from droids to stormtroopers.
- Learn how you can transform your space with FlickerStrip, customizable LED light strips that let you design light patterns for a dazzling display.
- Unleash your creativity with WorkshopSF and try your hand at linoleum block printing.
- Stop by the table to check out some of the amazing knit science hats by Heidi Arjes, including recent hats made for the Science March.
Hands on Crafts
6:00 - 10:00pm,
- NightLife illustrator Nigel Sussman returns with more live drawing requests from the crowd.
- Make a colorful tapestry with Green Art Workshop
- Channel your inner Jedi to contribute to a May the 4th-themed “paint by numbers” project with Paint Pens Collective and Super7, a sci-fi and comic designer toy company.
Tiny Home Tour
6:30 - 9:30pm, Thinking about downsizing? Tour one of Tiny Mountain Houses’ stylish portable homes and learn about the DIY mentality and green building values that drive the tiny house movement.
How Weird Street Faire DJ Set
(Piazza & Coral Reef)
6:00 - 10:00pm, Catch an eclectic lineup of DJ's representing How Weird Street Faire.
- 6:00 - 7:00pm: Enchanted Forest Stage (represented by DJ Dragonfly)
- 7:00 - 8:00pm: Muti Music and Northern Nights Stage (represented by Dov1)
- 8:00 - 9:00pm: Symbiosis Stage (represented by Tony Inorbit)
- 9:00 - 10:00pm: Pulse SF Stage (represented by Khromata)
Coral Reef Line Up:
- 6:00 -7:00pm SomaFM Stage, (represented by Rusty)
- 7:00 - 8:00pm Underground Nomads Stage (represented by Amar)
- 8:00 - 10:00pm Consortium of Collective Consciousness Stage (represented by Keni and friends)
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Learn how the Academy uses a decompression chamber to collect fish from the Twilight Zone.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Come together and connect with the Bay’s AAPI community in an evening of music, storytelling, and fashion.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Catch a sneak peek of the new BigPicture exhibit, where life is wild and animals inspire us to be more human.