Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
How-To: Survival NightLife
Play Bear Grylls for a night (or prepare for the apocalypse, zombie or otherwise) and learn how to hone your survival skills from people who actually know how.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
6:00 - 10:00pm
------> Instructors from Adventure Out, the Bay Area’s oldest wilderness survival school, will demonstrate essential tips to help you think on your feet while far from civilization. Visit the West Garden to learn how to make your own stone tools and create earthen shelters.
Space Blanket Survival
6:00 - 9:00pm
------> Get crafty with Julia Jane Moore as she leads a craft using Survival Space Blankets.
Guide to Exploration
6:00 - 10:00pm
------> Learn from the masters at Twisted Thistle Apothecary about topical medicinal plants you can use to help ease rashes, bites and burns and learn the ones you should avoid.
------> Get the scoop on identifying poisonous mushrooms from Bay Area Mycological Society and check out the edible ones you can find right here in Northern California.
------> Planning a backpacking adventure this summer? Find out the backpacking tips and essentials from the experts at Outbound Collective.
------> An outdoor adventure deserves photography skills to match! Learn tips from Nature Photographer, Josh Currie, on how to make your outdoor photographs pop against the rest.
Learn how Academy researchers rough it on expeditions around the world with expedition doctor Matt Lewin, whose pioneering topical approach to treating venomous snakebites may save thousands of lives annually.
DJ Daniel T. throws down in the Piazza
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Find out what's the latest on Planet Earth as we take you on an adventure around the globe!
Journey through the San Andreas fault, delve into Earth's core & explore the seismic science of earthquakes.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Calling all lovers of succulents, giant ferns, and everything in-between for an evening of gardening how-to's.
Celebrate the tentacled, slimy, and lumpy with a night dedicated to curious creatures. Plus, meet a sloth!
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of human health and wellness.
Get your dose of mechanical mayhem as NightLife hosts a salute to all things robotic.