Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
NightLife & Death
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Dealing with Death
- At 7 pm, Learn about the animal care provided in life and death faced by the Academy’s own biologists and hear from the scientists who act as first-responders during marine mammal strandings.
- At 8 pm, Hear from Reimagine founder and musician Brad Wolfe plus, Sean Mulholland (IDEO) talks about the digital experience of death and Dr. Jessica Zitter and Cynthia Carter Perrilliat discuss racial inequities in end of life. Angelica Ekeke (One World Journalist) will present her work "The Removal : the visual symphony" and Natalia Vigil (Still Here) will share a performance.
- At 9 pm, Stay for a discussion on psychedelics in medical treatment with Dr. Richard Miller and Rabbi Sydney Mintz.
- At 7:30 pm, Catch a live talk from UC Berkeley astrophysicist Ken Shen on the dramatic deaths of stars in our universe.
- At 8:30 pm, Grab a seat for the "Good Grief" comedy showcase featuring comedians Andrew Orolfo, Ronn Vigh, Anica Cihla, and Dara Kosberg.
6p - 8p
- Meet some of Muttville Senior Dog Rescue's cutest older dogs that are looking for their own Happily Ever After!
The Other Side
6p - 10p
Take a visually stunning journey through an immersive environment presented by Dream Logic in collaboration with artist Viktor Kastro, whose work investigates the spirit world and realms beyond death.
6p - 10p
- Artist Day Schildkret will install one of his “Morning Altars,” ephemeral earth artworks that celebrate impermanence and daily ritual.
- Submit a celebratory “funeral song” (click here to submit your song) for DJ Juan Luna-Avin to spin in the Piazza
Reimagine End of Life
6p - 10p
- Follow the journey of an organism from death to fossil with a talk by Ben Muddima of the UC Museum of Paleontology. Talk to Bay Area organizations that are addressing end of life in multiple arenas, including Muttville Senior Dog Rescue, The Dinner Party, Palliative Care Work Group, and more.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Learn about the latest technology and how people around the world are working to keep stargazing possible.
Travel through space and time to experience the dramatic lives and deaths of stars, Narrated by Whoopi Goldberg.
Upcoming NightLife Events
NightLife brings in experts to talk about the missions and spacecrafts currently on the search for exoplanets.
Dive into some of the greatest cosmic mysteries as NightLife travels to the ends of the observable universe.
This week, we’re shrinking down to size with a celebration of all things tiny, miniature, and microscopic.
Embark on a late-night science adventure: NightLife explores the mechanics of flight in the natural world.