Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
NightLife LIVE: August
NightLife LIVE 2018 music series—performances by Elohim + Caleborate, presented by Outside Lands Music Festival.
*Please note premier ticket price for NightLife LIVE events: $22 per person, $18 for Academy members
This month’s NightLife LIVE doubles as the official Outside Lands kick off party as electro-pop singer/songwriter Elohim, named one of Billboard Dance's "Ones to Watch" in 2018, lights up the night with her enigmatic and energetic set.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7:45 - 8:30 pm
East Bay rapper Caleborate, one of Complex’s Best New Musicians in 2016, kicks off the night with tracks from his highly-buzzed-about latest album, 1993.
8:45 - 9:50 pm
Electro-pop singer/songwriter Elohim, named one of Billboard Dance's "Ones to Watch" in 2018, lights up the night with her enigmatic and energetic set.
6:00 - 10:00pm
Explore a colorful and interactive art installation called Zoa created by frequent Burning Man collaborator Martin Taylor and his collective Chromaforms in the West Garden.
6:00 - 10:00pm
Keep your senses stimulated between sets with VR experiences by Dream Logic and Vision Quest, which offer new perspectives on the natural world—and your own.
Art, Albums and Screen Prints
Swamp & Project Lab
6:00 - 9:50pm
Get hands-on with science-inspired crafts and creativity workshops with Paint Pens Collective, spruce up your record collection by visiting Amoeba Records’ pop-up shop, and collect all of San Franpsycho’s “one-night-only” screen printed shirts designed just for NightLife LIVE. *BYOB Screen print only - $10; Shirt and Print - $25
ABOUT NIGHTLIFE LIVE
NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences, the museum’s weekly Thursday night party for science-curious adults 21+, launches its fourth annual NightLife LIVE summer music series. This year’s headliners include Com Truise, Classixx, and Kevin Morby along with supporting acts The Seshen, Caleborate, SUMif and Tanukichan. In true NightLife style, SF’s top DJs will keep the party going throughout the museum, including rotating sets by Chulita Vinyl Club, B-Side Brujas, and Sweater Funk.
This year’s NightLife LIVE events will take place on July 12th, August 9th, September 13th, and October 11th, in addition to the Academy’s regular NightLife events held every week. Partnering with Bay Area music promoters Noise Pop, Outside Lands, and Treasure Island Music Festival, NightLife LIVE pairs emerging bands and musicians with cutting-edge visual artists in an immersive intersection of science, music, and art. The only museum in the world to combine an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, and living rainforest, live performances on an outdoor stage transform the Academy into one of San Francisco’s most unique live music venues in the heart of Golden Gate Park.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Explore the immense scale of the known Universe in this live presentation that leaves Earth far behind.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Toothy sharks and thirsty humans unite for a salute to brews with an aquatic twist!
Nick Hakim performs at our final installment of NightLife LIVE 2019, co-presented by Noise Pop.
On the 30th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake, we’re digging back into seismic matters and ‘80s culture.
This week at NightLife, we’re exploring the many sides of the internet: the good, the bad, and the meme-worthy.