Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Summer of Love NightLife
If you're going to San Francisco...what better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love than a party in the heart of Golden Gate Park? Just blocks away from the Haight Street epicenter of this historic cultural celebration, NightLife will host a night of psychedelic science!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Sex, Drugs & Rock & Roll
7:00pm - Hear from local experts Robert Lawrence & Carol Queen about the cultural contributions that put free love on the map.
8:00pm - Learn more about the music that powered a generation with a Q&A from legendary music writer, Ben Fong-Torres led by Greg McQuaid (Irish Greg) and Renee Reynolds, hosts of Pop-Up Bay Area podcast.
9:00pm - It wasn't all peace and love in the late '60s - Get an inside perspective into those tumultuous times from Bay Area journalist, rock expert and author of 'Altamont,' Joel Selvin.
Alvan Meyerowitz: Time Machine
6:00 - 10:00pm,
Short talks at 7:00pm & 8:00pm, Dive deep into the unseen, behind-the-scenes images of the late '60s and '70s with San Francisco resident Alvan Meyerowitz and learn more about the Lost & Found Collection photo project started by curator and documentarian Doug Walker.
(The Terrace & Connect The Continents)
6:00 - 8:00pm, We get it, its a big deal - so we've set up a big screen to stream the Finals game #1. Come watch the whole game and then check out the show or just check in, either way - Go Warriors!
Craving some sports-bar grub? Head to the Terrace for a special bar menu including 6th Man Nacho’s and BBQ Pork Spare Ribs.
The Psychedelic Creatives
6:00 - 10:00pm, Immerse yourself in the history of San Francisco's legendary music venue, The Fillmore and the man who made it happen, Bill Graham. Then, try your hand at your own psychedelic art by learning liquid marbling techniques with Julia Jane Moore.
All About Love
6:00 - 10:00pm, Learn more about the burgeoning LGBT and Women's Rights Movements from experts GLBT Historical Society and Good Vibrations.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Explore the remarkable history of SF with historian Woody LaBounty from Western Neighborhoods Project.
Upcoming NightLife Events
It’s that time of year—when toothy sharks and thirsty humans unite for a salute to brews with an aquatic twist.
The NightLife LIVE season comes to a close with a dreamy, fuzzed out performance from DIIV and Black Marble.
Explore the mysteries beyond our solar system with a night dedicated to the search for extraterrestrials.
The creatures come out at NightLife when the Academy transforms into a spine-tingling tribute to '80s horror.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.