Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Weird Science NightLife
It’s time to get weird as NightLife highlights the sometimes strange, often mind-blowing world of science.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
The Science of Deception
7:30 & 8:30, Question everything during a series of talks on the science of deception featuring experts like neuroscientist Luigi Anzivino, Zeke Kossover, and master magician Robert Strong, presented by Wonderfest.
(Naturalist Center, 3rd Floor)
6:30-8:00pm, Head upstairs to the Naturalist Center to chat with the Academy’s curator of birds and mammals Jack Dumbacher as he shows off a variety of owl specimens and the fascinating stories behind them.
The Freaks of Nature
(The Project Lab)
6:00-10:00pm, Home to some of the natural world’s weirdest wonders, The Academy Collections have it all. Explore everything from freaky fish to dangerous ants, with Academy scientists Dave Catania and Jenna Florio.
Plus, learn about “Weird Organisms and Sci-Fi Landscapes from Earth’s Past” with UC Berkeley’s Looy Lab and explore how the Messersmith Lab is using marine mussels and barnacles to develop “bioinspired” materials.
6:00-10:00pm, Stop by the mind reading art installation by digital media artist Colin Harrington which scans the head set wearer's mind and tunes songs and images to their emotions.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 6:30 pm. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight! And if craft cocktails aren't your thing, check out our craft beer offerings from Anchor Brewing Co.
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Find out what's the latest on Planet Earth as we take you on an adventure around the globe!
Explore two of today’s greatest cosmic mysteries—dark matter and dark energy!